When I relocated to the village, some people thought I was crazy

BrightHighlife maestro, Bright Chimezie popularly known as Okoro Junior, needs no introduction to the Nigerian music aficionados; he has been on stage for about 35 years. Apart from being a talented singer, dancer and composer, the Imo State indigene also passes for one of the most handsome artistes in the country. With his band, Zigima Sound, Okoro Junior has carved an enviable place for himself, having dropped several hit songs, performed at big events and as well made many appearances in Nollywood blockbusters.
In this interview, he speaks on sundry issues including his forthcoming album, the gains and pains of his living in the village and plans to relocate to Lagos. Excerpts.
It’s nice to see you again, Okoro Junior?
Thanks, my brother. It’s nice to see you too.
When would you get old enough to become ‘Okoro Senior’? Is it when your sons start growing grey hairs?
(Laughter), Do you know that sometimes, when I make my sons angry, they would scream ‘Ah ah, Okoro Junior!’ Can you imagine that? Honestly, I think it would not be easy to pull it off just like that because ‘Okoro Junior’ is part of my brand. Even as I am in my 50s now, people still call me Okoro Junior because the Bright Chimezie brand cannot be complete without ‘Okoro Junior’. So, we thank God for life; we thank God for music and for everything.
Why did you allow Ogbono soup to put you into trouble in Oyinbo man country?
My brother, sebi that story wey happen in 1974? Na long tori o. (General laughter). But actually, I have always loved and promoted African culture. For me, I don’t only love Africa but I also live it. And as regards the Ogbono soup song, I like using a story to put a message across to my people. The essence of that song was to make Africans to appreciate themselves and their culture. If the Chinese could eat with stick and be proud of it, why can’t an Igbo man, for instance, feel proud to wash his hands and eat Ogbono soup with pounded yam or garri? I always ensure that my songs have something strong to teach or draw the attention of Africans. And to tell you the truth, I live all that I sing about; those close to me will tell you that I live all that I sing about.
Are you saying that the Ogbono soup song is not a true-life story?
The story is partly true. But as an artiste, I had to embellish the song to make it sound a nice.
It is now about 12 years since you relocated to your country home. When are you making a return?
I am working on it but it would be a gradual process. You would have noticed that I have been doing a couple of shows in Lagos lately. That is part of the process. Henceforth, our presence would be felt more often than before in Lagos, in terms of regular shows. And it is part of the process of re-launching the brand in the city. But the Zigima brand is like an institution, and moving it entirely from the East back to Lagos would not be a tea party, just as it was when we moved down East from Lagos. I was controlling a 16-piece band, and you know what that means.
Has the drastic relocation paid off in any way?
Thank you for that question. It has paid off tremendously. I don’t know how I would have felt, as someone that promotes indigenous culture, if my 25-year-old son cannot speak Igbo. It would have been torturous. It was drastic like you stated because, I took my family home when my children were still very tender. If I had not done it that time, I wouldn’t have been able to do it again. So, I didn’t regret it. Today, my children can speak Igbo fluently. They know their roots, my people, our culture and everything. So, our relocation has paid off greatly. Having achieved my goal, we are now set to start the process of returning to Lagos.
Was it easy to convince your family to stop enjoying Lagos life and follow you…?
(Cuts in) No, no, no! They were being exposed to utopian life because we were living in an elitist environment, which was at Omole Estate; and I needed to expose them to their real culture – to keep them abreast of the situation back home. It was not easy but it was a decision that I made as the head of the house. I was pained when I noticed that they were finding it so difficult to flow with me whenever I spoke Igbo to them. So, I silently started planning the movement in 2007. I later explained my plans to my wife and she saw reasons with me. But I must confess that it was not easy at all.
Did the exercise inspire you to write any song?
Oh my… I’m sure you are not a prophet, because it did? The song is almost ready and the working title is Asusu Ejiri Mara Gi (Identity Language). The truth is that Igboland is a gift to the Igbo, so are Yorubaland to the Yoruba and Hausaland to the Hausa. To that effect, every tribe should appreciate their language, and parents should also strive to ensure that their children speak their language. The advantages are unquantifiable and my children are already reaping the advantages, courtesy of my drastic relocation back home.
Do you spot another Okoro Junior in any of your sons?
Yes, I do. One of my sons is dropping his debut single very soon.
Is he one of your twins?
No, my third son. His name is Chukwudi. He plays rhythm guitar and bass in my band and he sings as well. But I do not interfere in his thing in order to allow him to be original. He writes his songs by himself, performs them on stage and he is so philosophical too. But I want him to grow independently, not climbing through my back. In fact, I am impressed that he is not even interested in climbing through my figure, because he calls his brand ‘Advanced Zigima’. That means he is out to take Zigima music to a greater height, maybe by infusing his generation’s style in order to create a balance. He is currently studying at the Peter King School of Music in Badagry, Lagos; and I am sure that he knows what he is doing. So, the only support that he may likely need from me is in the area of financial push.
You are a handsome musician. What challenges has this attribute brought along your career path?
That’s one question people keep asking from different angles. But the thing is that my looks are not accidental. From my tender age, people have always made beautiful comments about my looks, which used to unsettle me, before I got used to it over time. I was lucky to have good, principled parents, especially my father who instilled high level of discipline in me before transiting. The thing is that once you are disciplined, you would find it easy to cope with the challenges of life.
Did you at any time tone your skin, as it was once rumoured?
Why would I do that? People keep talking about this toning thing and me, but the only thing that I use is the native Ori (shear butter). I don’t even use any synthetic soap or cream. The much I have ever done was to use Pears Baby product once in a while. Most times, I don’t even apply any cream. But I never joked with fruits. I eat a lot of fruits. So, I have no business toning or bleaching my skin. The way I am is just God’s gift. I will never Westernise myself in any way because I am an ardent campaigner against such act. I always say that I live all that I sing about and those close to me can attest to that. When I decided to relocate my thriving band to the east, some people thought I had gone nuts but I knew what I was doing. And today, I feel extremely happy to have taken such decision. I once visited my uncle in London and I discovered that none of his children could speak or understand Igbo language – everything was in English language. Must we copy these Oyinbo people to a fault? Another instance was when I travelled to Caracas for a show. When we got there, all other artistes did their show in English; I did mine in undiluted Igbo. And after the show, many people came to me to hail me, telling me that although they did not understand my language, they enjoyed my show and found my language musical too. The Zigima movement is real. It is total culture. So, we should learn to copy the Oyinbo with some reservation and respect for our fatherland.
Is it true that you said you can never wear suit?
I remember the last time I wore suit was in a Nollywood film entitled, ‘Deadly Proposal’. That was decades ago, and it took them a decade to persuade me to wear it. After taking part in that movie, I have never allowed suit to come near me. I am so used to African style that alien outfit easily irritates me. In my first album, I sang ‘Respect Africa’. Africans should respect and value Africa. And when I sang ‘African Style’, it was to encourage Africans to be proud of African culture and style. I am not condemning suit or foreign materials, but what I am saying is that Okoro Junior has never been used to it.
You have been married for over 25 years now. What did your father tell you that has helped to sustain your marriage till date?
He told me so many things that have been helping me in life, not only my marriage. My dad was an ordained Reverend minister in the Methodist Church. He is late now. But before he passed on, he took my hand and joined them with my wife’s and told me, ‘This is your wife, take care of her’. That was a solemn blessing, coming from two fronts – from a father on one hand and a Reverend on another. That blessing has been a huge source of encouragement and sustenance to us.
You have done a couple of collabos such as the one you recently featured in Yinka Ayanda’s peace song. How many more are in the offing?
Yes, Yinka is a bunch of talent. She is an incredibly talented artiste waiting to explode. Her peace song will certainly wow Nigerians. And as for more collabo, such exercise between the old and new generation artistes is quite commendable. More of such are in the pipeline.

No comments

News naija update. Powered by Blogger.